Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Holiday Update

We are winding down here in speech and getting ready for Christmas break. Here is a final look at my bulletin board. You can read more about it here in this blog post. I love how cozy it feels!


Our little tree is looking festive with handmade ornaments. It also has a new addition, articulation ornaments.


I found the idea for the articulation ornaments via Speech Room News (where I find a lot of good speech ideas). Here is her blog post about it.  I bought clear plastic ornaments from Michael's, a craft store. They were on sale this week for about 30cents each. I bought six to make ornaments for these sounds: /s/, /r/, /l/, "sh," "th," and /k/g/. 

Here are the steps to making these ornaments. I used sticker letters from my scrapbooking stash for each phoneme.

First, put sticker letters on each ornament with the target sounds.

Then, put the little things inside.

After that, close it up.

Last, add a hook, and you are done!
 
Another reason this project was so appealing to me, is that I already have a speech activity that I call Tiny Objects. I have been collecting little things for each phoneme to store in these drawers. When we do this activity, students practice target sounds using the miniatures. This is a favorite in speech class! I will write more about this activity in a future blog post.

Anyway, what made this so easy is that I have all the little things to go into the ornaments!

 
 


Here they are on the tree. When my students are finished with their own paper ornament, they get to hang it on the tree. Then, they look for clear ornament with their target sound. Time for more speech practice! We talk about all the things inside of the ornament. This has been a fun new addition to our therapy week.







Have a great break, ans see  you in three weeks for more fun ideas from my class!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com