Monday, October 21, 2013

Welcome, and Hello!

Hi everyone! My name is Christy Callaghan and I am a mom, SLP and crafter in California. I like to try and combine all three of my obsessions, errr, talents into my everyday life. Half my life is spent at home, and the other half in my classroom. I like to make each of these "homes" as wonderful, fun, and nurturing as possible. This blog is a place where I can show you what I do to make this happen, with an emphasis on speech/language therapy. I will share more about my darling children later. Just wait, they are pretty cute, even when they are tantrum-ing and/or soiling their diapers. 

I have been an SLP for 10 years. Wait a minute, ten years!?*&!? Wow, that must mean I am also in my mid-thirties. Gheez. My first job was in Northern California, working primarily with children with autism, severe disabilities, and/or hearing loss. I came to the central coast of California 6-years ago to work in a more general education setting. Although it is technically "general education," I still serve a variety of students with a myriad of needs. And, I love it. I have a great group of kids, wonderful aides and staff, supportive administration and an AWESOME speech room. No converted bathroom or broom closet for me! 

For my first post, I would like to direct you to a freebie in my Teachers Pay Teachers store. Super Synonyms for the word GOOD:


I have been greatly inspired by my fellow speech therapists in cyberspace via blogs, pinterest and TpT. They have nudged me into a creative space that my students are also benefiting from. Thus, the start of my TpT store. You can check it out here: Christy Callaghan, Hip Materials for the Modern SLP

About ten of the students on my caseload are considered Language Impaired and struggle with vocabulary. One of the Top Ten Characteristics of Vocabulary Instruction is to focus on synonyms and antonyms. This free worksheet targets this skill. Plus, pretty much every kid loves superheroes! I have used it in therapy, but it also makes a great worksheet for homework. I used ClipArtopia graphics, they are darling. Let me know what you think!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah for joining the blogging world! Can't wait to see all your fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com