Thursday, March 12, 2015

I Have been Nominated for the Liebster Award

Most bloggers have heard of the Liebster Award. But, I hadn't. Because I am new to this. And that is the point of the Liebster. 

It is meant for new bloggers. The intention is to bring people like me out onto the screens of readers out there with possible interest in my content. Nominations are for bloggers with less than 200 followers (today I have 3). It is an award for bloggers, given by other bloggers, using a pay it forward concept.

I have been nominated by Kristin Immicke from the Beautiful Speech blog. Check out her blog here. It is not only beautiful, but lovely as well.

Another part of the nomination requirement is to answer 11 questions. Here are my responses. Enjoy! 

1. Why did you start blogging?
 
I started blogging when I was pregnant with my son over 6 years ago. My husband and I posted pictures and updates of our life, primarily for family and friends. It is basically a camera roll of our (almost) daily life. We have since moved onto using Instagram as our primary way to share photos. That blog is now rarely posted upon.

Last year, I started a TPT store front and wanted to share some of my products with other Speech Therapists. Blogging was a great way to get the word out on my products. In addition to speech activities for purchase through TPT, I wanted to post ideas about reinforcement systems, therapy ideas, decorations, and much more. I slowly got going and have been posting since October of 2013.


2. What is your work experience?
I have been an SLP since 2004. My first job and CFY was for a county office of education. I worked there for the first three years of my career. My caseload was about 35 students. Small, right? But, boy was it "weighted." 
A portion of these 35 kids were from our county deaf/hard of hearing program. A few of those students had cochlear implants, which was a great experience. I worked mainly on language and sign language development with the other kiddos in that program. These classes were the best part of my week. I loved going to that school. Great staff and cute kids. Plus, I had a background in working with deaf/hard of hearing, so this type of therapy came naturally to me. 
The second group of students on my caseload was at a severe/profound special education school. A lot of AAC, SGD, Big Macs, switches, and feeding. This part of my job was fine. Not really my passion, but I really liked the kids and staff. It was an amazing opportunity to gain experience in choosing SGDs, as well as funding them. All of the swallowing therapy was a bit intimidating. I was fine and comfortable doing the feeding therapy and choosing diets. But, what was hard was when other people decided that students on a feeding tube and NPO, should have some Pepsi. True story. Not good/safe for my license. 
Another class I served was for high school aged (and sized) students (all boys) with Autism. Most of the students had very low cognition as well. Back then, I was a thin and timid SLP who had no business trying to help with behavior. Lots of punching, hitting, slapping, kicking, lunging, etc. I was scared to go to work. Sure, aggression is a form of communication. Apparently it was my job to change that method of communication to something more socially appropriate. But, it was too hard for me. I did not know what to do. I did not have that kind of training. In college the only thing learned about to treat Autism was "Social Stories." So, I made volumes of them. It didn't work. 

It was hard.
The fourth class I served was essentially a special day class for Autism with elementary aged students. PECS, social stories, discrete trial, etc. The caseload itself wasn't too bad. The problem was that I worked with a "high profile" family. Now, this is something I deal with regularly at this point in my career, but when you are 24, it is scary. Lawyers. Advocates. Data. Data. Data. It was really stressful.

Looking back, I realize now that my caseload was way too difficult for me as a CFY. I think it would have been difficult for anyone, even with experience. I was floundering, and knew it. A lot of tears were shed. That work experience has taught me how to be an intern and CFY supervisor. It has also taught me that we shouldn't give the new girl (or guy) the job no one else wants. 

Now, I am very happy and confident in my position. My husband and I moved from northern California, to the central coast of California. I currently work at an elementary school in a small school district. I have worked at the same school for the past 7ish years. Junior High students have also been in the mix for some of that time. 

Right now, my caseload is 56. It consists of kids from the general education population, which is a lot of articulation, language, and stuttering. I have 6 students who stutter right now! A lot, right? 

I also serve two special day  classes on my campus. Those students have articulation, language, social language, and AAC needs. I pretty much do it all. No cleft, voice, or swallowing right now, but who knows what tomorrow will bring. I have three referrals out...

Can I say, I. Love. My. Job. I work at a great school with great administration. I have tons of work BFFs, so going to work everyday is rewarding and fun. 

If you have scrolled through some of my older blog posts, you will see that I have a spectacular speech room. It is huge with lots of storage space. No converted bathroom for me. And, I don't even have to share. 

What's not to love?

Are you still reading? That was a lot of info. The next responses will be more restrained. I promise. 

3. What is your favorite social media outlet?
Are you asking if I have a Pinterest addiction? Probably. Do you think 15k pins are a lot?


4. What is your favorite pastime other than blogging? 
  
If I am honest, I don't know if blogging is a favorite pastime...

But, you know. Semantics. 

I do have a hard time with favorites. So, I am presenting a multi-way tie of favorite pastimes. 

I read a lot, about a book a week on my Kindle. Classics, mystery, historical fiction, chic lit. Almost any genre.  

Inter-netting is another favorite pastime. I spend way too much time online. Instagram. Pinterest. Feedly. Etc. 

My other favorite pastime is scrapbooking. I crave creative outlets, and this is my favorite way to fulfill that desire. 

I have another pastime. Running. Running kinda sucks, but it keeps me in shape. That's the part I like. 


5. How many hours per week do you dedicate to TpT? To your blog?
  
Probably about 1-5hours between the two.


6. What age range is your favorite to work with?

I am loving working with elementary aged students.


7. Who are your favorite SLP bloggers to follow?
I have been following Speech Room News for a while, as well as Speech to the Core,  the Dabbling Speechie, Sublime Speech, Crazy Speech World, Beautiful Speech, and Natalie Snyders.  Check them out, lots of great ideas! 
As an itinerant SLP, it can get pretty lonely, so it is so great to see other ideas, other therapy rooms, other challenges, and other triumphs.  
I have a friend, Kelly, who is a Deaf/Hard of Hearing teacher and also has an awesome blog. Check her out at A View into my Classroom. Kelly is A. M. A. Z. I. N. G. She is a great friend and colleague. See the bottom of this post for some more info about this great gal. I am seeing a nomination in her future...


8. What post have you written that you are most proud of? 
 
Compiling and sharing all of my ideas for reinforcement in my speech room in the blog post titled My Speech Therapy Reward System is something I am proud of. I think it is comprehensive and clear. Read it here and let me know what you think. 


9. Is there any post that you have been planning to do but keep postponing? 
I really need to write about some of the fun therapy activities we have been doing lately. We are using my Mini Books that can be found in my TPT store. Check them out here and  here

I think that may have been a plug for my TPT shop. 
10. What is your favorite aspect of blogging? 
I love seeing re-pins of pictures from my blog. It is really encouraging when people like my ideas!
11. What are 11 facts about me?  

- I volunteered at a summer camp as a teen for kids with speech/language impairments and/or hearing loss. It is called Camp Hapitok and has been running for 44years. Due to recent changes in financing, they are having a crowd funding campaign. Check it out here if you would like to help.

- I later became a speech therapist at that same camp after I graduated from college.

-I was a Deaf Studies major as a freshman in college and planned on being a DHH classroom teacher. I changed my mind and took the SLP track instead.

- I know (some) sign language.

- I was an exchange student in Belarus when I was 16. I speak zero Russian.

- I am running my first half marathon this weekend. Eeek! 13.1 miles!!

- My husband and I met as camp counselors. We were in college, working at a summer camp near Lake Tahoe, CA. This is us back when we were young and cute. I am dressed as a butterfly and he is a banana slug. It was for an animal themed dance.

You know. Camp life. 



- I was voted "Most Compassionate" in high school for the "senior best" part of the yearbook. 

- I am an avid scrap-booker and amateur photographer. I have a great husband and two cute kids to document. And, 30+ albums and thousands of photos later, I have done just that. Good thing I have some posers in the house.




- My son won our local Halloween costume contest in 2009. I made his costume from scratch. So, basically I won. It may be my proudest moment. Here is a picture. 


Shoot, that is only 10! Okay, one more. 

11. I love the California sunshine. I try to take full advantage of the parks, beaches, baseball, soccer, camping, etc. It is especially awesome when I take this group along for the ride.





That's me, a Liebster Award winner!

You made it to the end, and now I would like to nominate my good friend Kelly and her blog, A View into my Classroom, for the Liebster Award. So, my warmest congratulations to Kelly! Check her out here.

2 comments:

  1. Seriously, your children are adorable!! Love those photos!

    Thank you for the nomination! That was sweet of you! When I stopped by your blog the other day you inspired me to actually blog again. I miss that connection with people out there! I better get busy answering some questions!

    Good luck this weekend! It's going to be freakin' HOT! They should have planned it on a cooler day! Yikes!

    I had no idea you were an exchange student in High School! How fun!

    Thanks again for the nomination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly, your blog post was awesome too. Congrats again!

      Delete

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com