Monday, October 20, 2014

Fluency Activity to Describe a Stutter

Let's take a break from holiday activities to talk about stuttering therapy. I do have a Halloween activity for my fluency kids, but I will blog about that later. 

Here is a clue:

Cadavers. 

Gross, right?

Anyway, when students begin therapy with me for stuttering, one of the first things we do is describe what stuttering is and how they stutter. Part of that is describing types of stutters. For my students in kindergarten through second grade we talk a lot about smooth, bumpy, and blocked speech. There are a variety of activities that we do to really make this concept concrete. But, this one is a favorite!



First we make roads with basic supplies: index cards, crayons, paper, glue. The roads are either in a  straight line for smooth speech, a bumpy road for bumpy speech, and a road block in the middle of the road for blocked speech. The students then choose three cars (I got these are the dollar store). We drive the cars on the roads and say words, phrases, and sentences with the type of speech on the little paper street. For example, we say, "This road is smooth for my car," "This this this this is a bumpy road for my car," and "My_______ car hit a road block." All while moving the cars along the roads. 

When we are done driving, I hot glue the cars to their page. The kids think this part is pretty cool. Plus, they love taking this project home to show their parents!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com